A comparative study of three different yoga modules on intelligence quotient in normal children (9 to 12 years)
Dissertation Submitted In Partial fulfillment of the requirement for the master degree in yogic sciences
GUIDES Dr R Nagarathna., M.B.B.S.Dr H R Nagendra., M.E., Ph.D.
Vivekananda Yoga Mahavidyapatham (VYOMA)
Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana (sVYASA)(A Deemed University)
#19 "Eknath Bhavana Gavipuram Circle, Kempegowda Nagar,
Bangalore- 560019, India.
Abstract :The present study was aimed to assess the intelligence quotient (IQ) in children's after intensive practice of Integrated Approach of Yoga and to compare the effects of three different yoga modules through Draw-a-man test. Subjects included normal healthy English-medium school children (n = 207) aged between 9-12 years (Mean ± SD, 10.86 ± 0.91). They were randomly assigned to three groups, Srsti i.e. for Creativity Development (B), Sthiti i.e. for IQ Development (A), and Laya i.e. for Physical Stamina Development (C). They were taught three different yoga modules of Asana (yoga postures), Pranayama (breathing exercises), kriya (cleansing techniques), meditation, games and lecture by trained instructors. But daily time schedule for all the three groups remained the same. Draw-a-man Test was administrated to children in all three groups on the first and ninth days of a residential program. Paired't' test was used to compare the change in IQ scores in the three groups. Results showed that there was significant improvement (p < 0.001) in the A group. The improvement in the A group was 3.91%, 0.44% in the B group, and 0.10% in the C group. Analysis between the three groups was done by means of one-way ANOVA, followed by post-hoc multiple comparison (Tukey test), which showed that the group, which practiced A-specific yoga module, showed significant improvement, compared to B and C groups.
Summary & Conclusion : 1. The present study is done to assess the efficacy of 'Integrated Yoga Module (IYM) with the use of three different yoga modules on intelligence quotient.
2. The present study was also done to examine whether the intelligence quotient group (yoga module) showed much improvement in the IQ in school children. The present study was also done to check whether gender had an effect on the changes in IQ scores.
3. In this study, school children (n= 278, age range = 9 to12 years) were randomly assigned to three groups namely IQG, CRG, and PSG.
4. The groups had interventions of IYM to enhance CR, IQ and PS. The number of students in each group was IQ (n=68), CR (n=69), PS (n=70).
5. The assessments for intelligence quotient were taken on the 1st and 9th day of the course. The subjects were told that intelligence quotient test were for their self- assessment to understand the benefits derived from the course. The necessary conditions for the test namely, the seating arrangement, timing was strictly adhered to.
6. The scoring done for the test was based on Draw a man test Indian version for children. The intervention for the study included yoga practices, which were very specific for the three yoga modules.
7. The analysis of data was done after checking for elimination of abnormal data and attrition of data. The normality test showed that the groups were of normal distribution. The 'f' test showed that the groups were homogenous. The Paired't' test indicated that IQ group showed improvement. The Multiple comparison Tukey test showed that there was significant difference between groups. It showed that the IQ group showed more significance than the other two groups. The scores showed results with regard to gender too.
8. Hence the above study shows that Yoga has a role to play in the improvement of intelligence quotient, with greater improvement in the IQ group. The improvement in IQ may be due to the balancing effects having influenced the intelligence quotient.
The results suggest that the hypothesis was correct, i.e. it has shown improvement in the intelligence quotient group. Age as a factor may also be related to the increase in test scores. Further studies could be done after matching for age, for the three groups, to test the speculation.