Cleansing and Yoga
Even modern science now believes that disease, decay and degeneration are due to the presence of free radicals in the body. But how are the free radicals created?
Free radicals develop due to the accumulation of toxins in the body. Toxins, themselves, are a product of our lifestyle, our diet, the environment and our emotional patterns.
With our unregulated and undisciplined lifestyle, the kind of food we eat, the air we breathe, the water we drink and our emotional pulls and pressures, certain hormones are secreted that have a tendency to leave behind toxins.
The accumulation of toxins in our body is, therefore, natural. We CANNOT escape from this.
Yoga has a two pronged approach. In the long term it aims at developing attitudinal changes that prevent the build up of toxins through various practices and meditative techniques.
However, Yoga has very practical purification practices that aim at the detoxification of the body and mind. These detoxification techniques are a sort of cleansing that help the body rid itself of toxins.
These detoxification techniques, called Shatkarmas or Shatkriyas are extremely powerful in that detoxification work on specific areas of the body that have the maximum impact upon our health.
To read a related article on the "Importance of Detoxification", Click here
Benefits of Cleansing :
- Helps to develop immunity by eliminating the toxins.
- Stimulates the mind and aids in removing lethargy (tamas).
- Washes the colon, sinus tracts, the stomach etc.
- Provides a massaging effect to the areas applied thereby stimulating the effective working of the Organs.
- Stimulates vitality and helps in retardation of ageing.
- One's capacity to think, digest, taste , feel express etc. increases and a greater awareness develops.
Cleansing Methods: What are they & how do they help ?